Service-learning courses tend to give students more out of class work that helps develop skills and professionalism. Dr. Jensen Moore listed in her syllabus ten course outcomes for this service-learning course, and I truly believe that they reflect the knowledge and skills that I have gained during the course of the semester. Looking at the list of course outcomes, I can find evidence throughout the course when I accomplished each one. Check out the outcomes, that I consider accomplishments below;
1. Understand client, audience and media information and format needs.
2. Demonstrate skills in locating, evaluating, and synthesizing research materials.
3. Understand the importance of truth, accuracy and fairness in the information gathering and distribution processes.
4. Demonstrate skills in writing copy on long and short deadlines and within space, time and platform requirements.
5. Produce and critically analyze story ideas and materials intended for diverse audiences and media platforms.
6. Create and deliver professional speeches and presentations that clearly and concisely convey messages to internal and external audiences.
7. Demonstrate knowledge of Associated Press style requirements.
8. Establish and maintain positive client relationships and work as a part of a public relations team.
9. Create professional communications using technologies such as InDesign, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, etc.
10. Develop and refine a professional digital portfolio.
Outcomes one through nine were easily accomplished with in class assignments, and the campaign that Magnolia House PR produced. Maintaining our professionalism, we were able to work with the client to meet these goals, while meeting goals that were specifically tailored for the campaign. In doing this we established and maintained a positive relationship with Dr. Sylvester and her team, we produced story ideas, created professional communication and demonstrated our skills in writing copy. We also have been putting together a campaign book and presentation that will be presented to the class and the client next week.
In addition to the goals of the class, I was able to work with a group of students that helped me along the way. Working with the Magnolia House PR team, I was able to meet four people will similar goals and work ethic to mine. We were able to work professionally to help an on-campus organization that desperately needed our help. I cannot wait to present to My SmokingWords LSU the products that we produced for them, the outcome of the Great American Smokeout event that we helped them host, and the improved social media tactics.
Outcome ten, the professional digital portfolio, is currently in the works. I will be publishing my portfolio on Weebly in the next week or so. You will be able to see campaigns that I have worked on, including the My SmokingWords LSU campaign, as well as case studies that I have been a part of. I worked really hard to create a site that reflects my personality, as well as my goals and my professionalism. You can check out my portfolio at www.remydanielleplas.weebly.com or follow me on LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter (@RemyDanielle).